Point of sale automation. Sounds like a pretty technical concept, doesn’t it? Well, yes. And no. It all depends on how you use it and how in-depth you get with it. But even when it gets a little complicated, it still has immense potential to save a business large amount of both its time and its money, which never hurts. However, it’s important to know a bit more about how point of sale automation works before you run out to the nearest provider and drop a big chunk of change. It all starts with understanding where automation fits into the big picture.
Identifying Where Point of Sale Automation Can Help
So, you want to automate some aspects of your business. The below questions can act as a guide to help you in determining where and if automations may be appropriate for your business operations.
- Is it a static, rarely changing process?
- Are reactive alerts enough or do you need a proactive solution?
- Can you easily audit performance via an easy to read report?
This aids in the decision-making process, not just in answering the “should I” questions that come with considering automation. It also helps when it comes time to select a system. You’re able to go into your automation project armed with the information needed to ensure that your point of sale automation is implemented with the time and money savings you have in mind.
Integrating POS Automations With Targeted Precision
Now that you’re equipped with the information you need, you can start to look at what automations a POS solution must provide for your efforts to be a success. Determining how your processes match up with the functionalities of your POS solution is a requirement that when met, helps ensure you that your cost-cutting efforts will be successful.
Knowing how to implement these is a huge factor in achieving success. We have put together a short list of typical features available in a top-performing POS software solution. Let this be your guide when determining which functions fall into which categories. This helps to remove some of the learning curve of a new system, both for yourself and your staff
- Drawer balancing and transaction remediations. Perhaps surprising to some, many businesses still rely on spreadsheets and manual receipt counting to determine if the receipts matched the day’s reported revenue. This is a task that is ripe for automation and will provide you with savings in both time and labor costs. Your POS solution should provide you with a mobile app that you can access anytime, streamlined reports, threshold alerts, and real-time transaction remediation.
- Staff management. How much time do you spend looking at timecard entries, adding up hours, then placing them in your accounting software so that your bank can process your payroll? How easy is it for you to notice if any of your staff is adding an extra 15 minutes here or missing the occasional break clock-out? These are all time-consuming labor management tasks that can easily be automated and audited on the fly from a mobile app via easy to read reports. Time savings for you, cost savings for the business thanks to reductions in inappropriate time reporting.
- Inventory management. This is a big one that ties in with the former processes. Without automations in place, it would be next to impossible to notice that staff member “A” is voiding transactions at a pace of nearly 40% greater than any other staff. This ties into inventory management automations to create a layer of protection against product leakage through employee theft and prevents you from having a Target situation on your hands, where two employees stole $3000 in goods from a distribution center where they worked.
- Customer relations. The automated storing, parsing, and reporting of customer data, such as purchasing habits and even their birthdays, can go a long way. While this provides cost-cutting in the form of inventory and ordering adjustment but is really more tied to the deepening of customer relationships. You appear to them as someone on the pulse of their wants and needs. Further, you can develop a customer or community appreciation program where you can offer them pinpointed, customized specials and bonuses as thank yous for being a regular sight walking through your doors.
These all allow you to work smarter, not harder while giving you an advantage moving forward. You can track the progress of your efficiency gains, making adjustments to your operations as time goes by. You can identify further areas of improvement that may have been missed during the initial assessment. The metrics you set are easily monitored and are readily available to you at the touch of a finger.
Measuring Your Point of Sale Automation Gains
The great thing about utilizing the functionalities and capabilities of an updated POS solution is that it provides you with the metrics you need to see where you are gaining as a result of your cost-cutting automations, and to pinpoint where exactly these gains are coming from. The POS software solution you choose should provide reporting so that you can track the progress of your business boosts.
Equipping yourself with reporting means that the key aspects of your business, from the register to the breakroom and on to the backroom, can all be easily monitored for discrepancies. You gain an advantage by being able to address these issues immediately, reducing the cost and operational impact of these incidents. However, getting to this point takes time and effort.
An Experienced Partner’s Help
The world of automation opens doors to better efficiencies across all aspects of your business, allowing you to easily cut costs while taking a foothold as an industry leader in your community. Achieving this requires an experienced hand that is well versed in your industry as well as the moving components of a high-tech POS solution.
Modernizing your business requires cutting-edge technology to be involved, all of which can typically be found in a next-gen POS solution. Regardless of if you are in need of an entirely new POS solution, or just need to implement automations and updates to your current solution; talech is ready to help modernize your business operations through the utilization of a modern point of sale system. Contact us today for a free demo and more information on how to bring cutting-edge technology to your customers.